I am reproducing below a comment on my post Australia: Curry bashing and ‘convict stains’ received from Mr. A. Antony, an Indian who has been living in
“Many of the 'convicts' who were sent to
Now going back to the attack on Indian students in
BJP activists burned an effigy of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd in Mumbai and for me this is an extremely offensive activity. Remember, this was not carried out by some extreme fringe organisation but by the main opposition party that was in power a few years before. Now let us reverse the scenario. If the effigy of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh were burned by some fringe lunatics in
As for the quality of education, most of the Indian students go to
Here are my comments on Mr. Antony’s views:
1. In my post I did not say that that all the convicts shipped out from GB had committed serious crimes. The point is that
2. What is important is that the curry bashing, whether for racist factors or for criminal purposes, continues. The police have not been effective. It could be due to inadequacy of law and that is why the Victoria Government is considering amendments.
3. I should think that burning effigies is quite common in
4. Perhaps the Indian media is creating too much of a hype. But, if a few Australians were being beaten up in
5. Some reports say that the recruiting agents for Australian Universities are now offering more soap to prospective students from
6. India cannot permit its citizens from being ill-treated in other countries. The Australian Government has to take effective steps to stop curry bashing.